Legal Fundamentals in HR
Date:Thursday 9 & Friday 10 September, 2021
Session 1: Overview of the Australian Labour & Employment Law System
- surveying the Australian employment law landscape, and understanding why we have our current laws
- the foundations of minimum employee entitlements
- the role of Courts and Tribunals within employment relationships
- the fundamentals of bargaining and making enterprise agreements
Session 2: Employment Documentation and Management
- different kinds of employment contracts and best practice terms
- drafting effective restraint of trade provisions
- recruitment and screening risks and pitfalls
- policies and procedures in the employment relationship
- employees, contractors and legislative changes for casuals
Session 3: EEO, Harassment, Discrimination and Work, Health & Safety
- discrimination, reasonable adjustments and the inherent requirements of the role
- harassment and the respect@work report about workplace sexual harassment
- bullying, reasonable management action and the jurisdiction of the Fair Work Commission
- employers’ obligations with WHS and workplace surveillance matters (at work and at home)
Session 4: Termination and Litigation
- how the termination of employment can be affected including redundancies, misconduct and performance
- the management and impact of organisational change and restructures
- understanding legal claims arising from termination of employment
- understanding the litigation process and an organisation's responsibilities
Legal Fundamentals in HR is a two day program held from 9am-5pm (Sydney time) each day. The program is complimentary for PCS Partnership and PCS Partnership Plus clients (limits apply), otherwise the cost of participation is $880 incl. GST.
The program cost includes course materials, morning/afternoon tea and lunch.
Participation in a condensed version is available via the webinar program.
The program is held in person at our CBD offices.